January 27, 2023

News 24a

News that matters

Bucharest Day. What happened on September 20, 1459 and the legend regarding the founding of the Capital

“Bucharest Day” is celebrated every year on September 20, the date on which the “Bucharest Citadel” was first attested.

On September 20, 2022, Bucharest turns 563 years since the first documentary attestation, and to mark this moment on the weekend of September 16-18, the local authorities organized a series of cultural events under the aegis of Bucharest Days.

Bucharest is the capital of Romania, being, at the same time, the largest city in the country. According to bucuresti.insse.ro, as of January 2022, Bucharest had 2,161,842 people.

The legend of the city of Bucharest

According to legend, Bucharest was founded by the shepherd Bucur, who had a flock of sheep.

One winter, Bucur’s daughter, Anca, was kidnapped by a band of Tatars and taken near the Dniester River. Later, after long searches, his father found her alive.

After rescuing her, they returned to the stable on the bank of Dâmboviţa and built a large house with a high fence like a fortress. Then, when Anca got married and had children, they built a church, which is preserved to this day, known as “Bucur’s Church”.

Another tradition from the 16th century says that the founder of “Bucuresti Citadel” was Negru Vodă.

563 years since the documentary attestation

“Bucharest Citadel” was mentioned for the first time on September 20, 1459 in a charter of Vlad Țepeș, who called it a princely residence.

The document was discovered around 1900 and it states that Vlad Țepeș spent four of the six years of his reign “in Bucharest Citadel”.

Development of “Bucharest Citadel”

An important factor for the development of the “Bucharest citadel” was its location at the intersection of important commercial roads, frequently used by merchants.

Roads left from Bucharest to Giurgiu, Cornățel, Târgșor, Târgoviște and Slatina.

Another important thing that led to the development of “Bucuresti Citadel” was the beginning of the construction of a new fortified courtyard during the reign of Vlad Țepeș.

The Royal Court consisted of the Voivodeship Palace and the Annunciation Church, later known as the Old Court Church

Bucharest became the capital of Wallachia in 1659

During the reign of Gheorghe Ghica (1659-1660), Bucharest became the capital of Wallachia, due to political-military factors.

The residence in the city on Dâmbovița was easier to supervise by the Ottoman garrison in Giurgiu.

Lesser known things about the Capital of Romania

► In 1857, Bucharest was the first city in the world to introduce oil lamp lighting.

► In 1868, the Casa Capșa confectionery was opened, which was frequented by the wealthiest people.

► In 1872, the Northern Railway Station was inaugurated, the first route being Bucharest – Ploiești.

► Calea Victoriei, originally called Podul Mogoșoaiei, received its current name on October 8, 1878, after the War of Independence, when the Romanian army made its triumphal entry into the Capital.

► The first woman to pedal on the streets of Bucharest was Mița Biciclista.

► The first automobile was registered in 1901 and belonged to engineer George Assan. The car had been manufactured in Belgium at the National Factory in Herstal.

► The first airport in the country is Bucharest-Băneasa International Airport, which was inaugurated in 1920.

► In 1929, the first traffic light in Bucharest was installed. It is located next to the Military Circle on Calea Victoriei.

► The Bucharest metro was opened on November 16, 1979.

► In Bucharest there is the second largest administrative building in the world – the Palace of the Parliament.

► Grand Hôtel du Boulevard was the first Bucharest hotel with running water in the rooms, and after 1904 it benefited from electric lighting and an elevator.

► The ceiling of the Odeon Theater in Bucharest is retractable. The mechanism, installed in 1911, still works today.

► Palatul Telefoanelor is the first skyscraper in Romania. It was built in 1934, and the people of Bucharest did not like the Art Deco style and refused to pass by it for two years.

Source link

1