December 9, 2022

News 24a

News that matters

Almost 700 deaths from a measles epidemic

Zimbabwe’s measles outbreak has so far killed 685 people, the Ministry of Health announced on Saturday, four times as many cases as those reported nearly two weeks ago even as the national vaccination program continues, Reuters reports.

“Zimbabwe has had 6,034 confirmed cases, including 685 deaths,” the ministry announced in a Twitter post, adding that 191 new cases and 37 deaths were reported in a single day on September 1.

Most deaths were recorded among children aged between six months and 15 years, especially those from religious sects that do not believe in vaccination, Information Minister Monica Mutsvangwa said last month.

Almost 700 deaths from a measles epidemic

According to the government of Zimbabwe, the apostolic sects do not believe in vaccination and rely on prayers. Apostolic Church leaders have not reacted to government claims that their beliefs are responsible for a greater spread of measles.

The government of Zimbabwe is reaching out to religious leaders to gain support and awareness in the vaccination campaign, Mutsvangwa said, according to Agerpres.

Three people, stricken with a mysterious pneumonia, which is NOT Covid

A mysterious pneumonia was detected in Argentina, where it killed three people. In total, nine patients were diagnosed. The WHO is monitoring the epidemic.

Three people have been killed in Argentina by a mysterious pneumonia whose origin is unknown. This was announced by Luis Medina Ruiz, the Minister of Health of the Argentine province of Tucuman, who explained: “We are all on alert.” To date, nine patients have been diagnosed.

‘The patients have in common a severe respiratory condition with bilateral pneumonia and X-ray damage very similar to the Coronavirus. But this is out of the question,” Ruiz continued at the press conference. “We are all on the alert, which is why we are issuing guidelines for public and private intensive care units in case they will be in a position to treat patients with these symptoms, especially to make a correct diagnosis with all the necessary protocols and with PPE as recommended for all patients with respiratory conditions.

So it’s not Covid-19, but neither is the flu and Hantavirus or Legionella appendicitis. All patients diagnosed with this pneumonia underwent specific tests at the Malbran Institute in Buenos Aires, while the center in Tucuman where the cases were detected, Luz Médica, a private clinic in the city of San Miguel de Tucuman, was placed in isolation.

Patient zero was identified as a 70-year-old woman who was admitted to Luz Médica for routine surgery before developing a lung infection on August 18. A doctor and a nurse later died, while the patient who first showed symptoms died last Thursday. Meanwhile, nine other patients have been identified, four of whom are in intensive care, while three others are receiving outpatient treatment.

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Center for Disease Control (ECDC) are monitoring the outbreak.

Google News icon Stay up to date with the latest news. Follow StiriDiaspora also on Google News



Source link

1